By Tim Rickis
The Lost Acres Fire Department responded to the following 15 calls: Two cooking fires; Two authorized burnings; Two alarm responses; One medical assist; One grass fire; One smoke/odor removal; One outdoor fire; One carbon monoxide issue; One blasting agent explosion response; One electrical incident; One dispatched and cancelled; One motor vehicle extrication.
LAFD reminds you to be safe when heating your home this fall. Cooler October weather is right around the corner, and now is the time to prepare for heating safety. Overall, heating equipment is the second leading cause of U.S. home fires and home fire deaths. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater.
• Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
• Never use your oven to heat your home.
• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
• Test smoke and CO alarms monthly.
Did you know that the Lost Acres Fire Department (LAFD) is Granby’s dedicated all-volunteer Fire Department, responsible for 24/7 Life and Property protection for 11,000+ residents? It currently operates at an annual tax cost of only about $60 per household.
For more information about LAFD, visit Facebook or www.lostacresfd.com.