Cooking and holiday decorating are big parts of the season, but they can also present fire hazards if you’re not careful.
Here are some simple tips to keep you and your family safe:
• Replace any indoor or outdoor light strings that are worn or broken
• Use only UL listed lights approved for specific use (indoor or outdoor)
• Choose a tree with fresh green needles that don’t fall off when touched
• Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from fireplaces, radiators, candles or lamps
• Day 1—cut off 2” from the base of the trunk, and then water daily
• Keep a close eye on candles. Avoid placing them under shelves or near curtains
• Use caution when hanging decorations. Have a partner help secure your ladder
• Clean your chimney yearly. Do not burn cardboard boxes in the fireplace
• Stay near the kitchen when cooking.
• Don’t leave your home with food in the oven.
The Lost Acres Fire Department is Granby’s dedicated all-volunteer Fire Department, responsible 24/7 for life and property protection for more than 11,000 residents. The department currently operates at an annual tax cost of less than $60 per household.