George E. Tuffin 1917 – 2014
By Carol Laun
George Tuffin was the quintessential volunteer. He was involved in many aspects of town government, from constable to First Selectman. He served on town boards and on building committees for the Town Hall and Town Garage. He was a member of the Library Board. He was instrumental in organizing the Senior Men’s Breakfast and also drove the Senior Van. He was active in the First Congregational Church. He was a member of St. Mark’s Lodge #91, and of the Grange, and of the Friends of New-Gate.
But his favorite place to volunteer was the Salmon Brook Historical Society. George was an active member for more than 50 years, a past president and permanent member of the Board of Directors. He led a group of volunteers for years, the Thursday workers. They cleaned, raked, repaired, scraped, sanded and had a lot of fun along the way. When something needed to be done, the answer was “let George do it.”
For many years, George was also involved in the Flea Markets held at the Historical Society. He helped in organizing, setting up the grounds and also sold some of his treasures.
George made all the arrangements for moving the Cooley School from East Street to the society property. He also led the volunteers who created the Colton-Hayes Barn Museum in the old Colton tobacco barn. The plaque honoring all the barn workers includes the name of his much-loved dog, Jasmine.
George Tuffin loved Granby and he loved history, especially the history that could be found in old farm equipment. He was always on the lookout for items to add to the Barn Museum. He probably knew the contents of every old barn in Granby – and tried to acquire it.
The Town of Granby and the Salmon Brook Historical Society is enriched for having known George Tuffin.